I emerged from the darkroom with 5 prints this week! And not just any five prints, but five prints that I actually consider . . . well . . . not half bad. Of course there are still the technical issues of the film developing I have to work around. But with a little perseverance and dad’s advice, I think I am finally getting the hang of this thing called film developing. I even have enough b&w photos that I started a new page in my gallery title Black & White (of course).
The excitement I was feeling to see what if any interesting pictures I had taken on rolls 1 & 2, quickly turned to complete frustration in the pitch-black film closet. After receiving instruction and practicing the process numerous times in a well-light classroom with eyes wide-open, it was my turn in the closet 😉 Things were going really well, I got the lid off the film canister, I didn’t cut myself, and as I started the rolling the film onto the reel, I was still feeling pretty confident. And then . . . just when I thought I was almost done, it all went wrong. I unwound a little, then felt a snag, then a rip, wound and rewound . . . Then finally, hoping for the best, I just put the real in the cannister(?), taped it up and never even attempted my second roll. I explained my adventure in the film closet to the instructor and he took it and re-rolled it for me. His words, “I have good news and I have bad news.” I was not feeling very optimistic heading into the next part of the process.
Sorry, that was a little long and drawn out, kind of like the next part in the process; actually applying the chemical process, timing the steps, trying to keep it all in order.
To my surprise, I actually walked away with a strip of negatives – maybe not all 36 – but it looks like I’ll have some negatives to print next week. I wish I had some actual photos to share now and I suppose that’s the most frustrating part; all that time (it’s a 4 hour class) and no prints.