Had a chance to take a break from the darkroom and take some digital photos. I was surprised, how much adjusting I had to do to get back in swing with my digital camera.
The event: An Oscar party.
The subjects: Moms and daughters on the red carpet.
The challenge: Working with the available light, a large group in a small area, a 50 mm lens, and no tripod.
The only post-processing was done using Capture NX2 adjusting the white balance using gray-scale, some sharpening, and upping the contrast and lowering the brightness of the background. And overall I was really pleasantly surprised by the lack of noise shooting at such a high ISO. Of note, it would have taken a heck of a lot longer to do all of this in CS4.
Roll #2 had to be completely re-shot. It appears that my agitation technique was all wrong and the developer was not able to do its job 😦 Now I know why they call it agitation.
I’m trying to figure out how to get all my sites linked together. It was easy with Flickr, but I am still trying to see how this works with my FB. If I did this right, all my friends & family on FB should now be able to follow my blog. Let’s see . . .
Yay! It worked.
So this is it, my very first print from my own negative. Yup, that’s it; just one. Apparently, I didn’t quite get the assignment right, and then there were the test prints, and then. . . Well, you get the idea. And really no need to comment on the photo. . . I already know there are so many things wrong with it (not to mention oh so boring). But this is why I am taking the class, right? The most important thing I need to do differently the next time I process a roll of film; has to do with agitation . . . no, not my agitation. . . the agitation of the film during the development process.
At this point, I don’t think I could ever give up digital for film, but I most definitely have a new found appreciation for the “Masters of Photography” and what they accomplished with film.
The negative is the equivalent of the composer’s score, and the print the performance. ~Ansel Adams
This has proven to be quite a challenge using film. First, the weather has not been very cooperative this week. Today, the sun came out and I went to a local park to get some photos of kids sledding (today’s another snow day), but I felt incredibly limited using the 50 mm lens as required, the snow must have been wet because everyone seemed to be going in slow-motion anyway, and I seem to be running into some technical difficulty trying to blur the motion. Like I said this roll has been quite a challenge, and I have five more shots left.
On a brighter note, it looks like class will go on as scheduled tomorrow and I will get to develop some of the negatives I did last week. I bet you’re as excited as I am to see them 😉